Groups of hosting services
A hosting solution appertains to stockpiling and/or sharing specific content on a web hosting server run by a web hosting provider. There are various types of hosting services utilized for different ends, so let's take a look at these. Thus, you can determine what you want, depending on whether you wish to create a weblog, e-mail accounts, or to share files with friends and partners.
- File hosting: a service supplied by given file storage providers, which permits you to share large files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archived documents, and so on. This service is also known as file storage, and its single function is to share files, since it does not support site uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either receive a randomly created download link for each of them, or you will be able to explore a table of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to open .html or .php web files in your browser. Free-of-cost file hosting packages frequently include advertisements by the download links, while a timer compels you to await a specific interval of time to view them. A given file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you possess a paid file hosting plan, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download immediately, and also there is no limitation with regard to the download speed or the file size.
At the moment, with the help of the cPanel hosting merchandisers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more modern "cloud hosting". This is a thoroughly mistaken interpretation of the literal definition of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting environment would distribute the load between independent bunches of web hosting servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to attending miscellaneous hosting services (mail, disk storage, statistics, DNS, databases, website hosting Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is only a type of a data storage hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: akin to file hosting; given providers offer a hosting solution for images solely. This hosting variant is appropriate if you wish to share an immense number of pics with mates or acquaintances since the service is commonly free of charge. You will get a randomly generated link for each picture or album and you can then share this link. As with the file hosting solution, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the service cannot be utilized for websites.
- Email hosting: a solution committed to handling your email aliases. Some distributors provide web space hosting solutions for websites, but do not offer an e-mail service. If you desire to keep a mail address with your domain name but do not want to keep a site, then the email hosting solution is what you require. You can create e-mail address accounts and administer them, but there will be no web service for the domains. The email hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP email servers.
- Video hosting: this solution enables you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a specific video file, or you can embed the video file in your web site that is hosted somewhere else. The benefit of using this approach instead of uploading the video in a hosting account is that the video file creates a particular amount of CPU load, so with a bunch of video files and a few hundred web page viewers, you may have a hard time with your web page hosting supplies. Embedding the video will enable you to utilize as many video files as you would like without bothering about system quotas.
- Web page hosting: this is the service that you need if you would like to have a web site. To a certain degree, it consists of all of the abovementioned hosting categories since, along with your web sites, you can also host pictures and files, you can run databases and mail accounts, upload videos, etc. At 000webhost, for example, you can have a glance at web hosting and dedicated web server hosting accounts that enable you to get all of the aforementioned services in one place. There may be limitations depending on the kind of hosting service that you've chosen - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your web hosting package may be better or worse compared to the standard email/file/video/image hosting accounts that are planned for particular web content exclusively.